According to the report of the year from Token Unlocks, it is estimated that in the coming years there will still be USD 102 billion in unlocked tokens, with prominent names such as XRP, FIL, OP, LINK and BIT.
Accordingly, Token Unlocks has aggregated data from the top 300 projects with fixed supply on CoinGecko to reach the following conclusions, with a price as of December 31, 2022:
- Totally Diluted Value: US$570.8 billion
- Market capitalization: 468.7 billion USD
- The value of the token remaining locked: 102.1 billion USD
Overall, the report comes to a conclusion that 82.1% of the project’s tokens with a limited supply have been released to the market. However, there is still $102.1 billion in value that will be unlocked for many years to come.
Next, the report reports that there are 96 projects with locked tokens below 25% of the supply, while 15 projects are above 75%. The average number here is 38.6%.
Token Unlocks has listed the Top 15 projects that still have a large amount of ununlocked tokens as follows:
Ripple (XRP) can be seen at the top with $17.9 billion. Filecoin (FIL) and Optimism (OP) ranked second and third with a value of $4.9 billion and $3.7 billion, respectively.
Chainlink (LINK), BitDAO (BIT), ApeCoin (APE) and STEPN (GMT) also rank above the $1 billion mark. While Hedera (HBAR) and Axie Infinity (AXS) are estimated to have locked tokens worth around $1 billion.
Some unlocks in 2023 belong to the top tokens above that readers can note:
- January 23, 2023: 4.8 million AXS (about $40 million)
- 03/02/2023: 150 million DYDX (approximately $195 million)
- 20/02/2023: GMT – Unlock tokens worth about 600,000 USD per day
- May 31, 2023: 150 million OP (about 250 million USD)
- August 14, 2023: CRV – Unlock tokens worth about 410,000 USD per day
In addition, there are many large and small unlocking rounds spanning 2023, readers can see more details here.